UMA OPINIÃO BAMBA!

UMA OPINIÃO BAMBA!

Textos Interessantes e Curiosidades, Humor, Seinfeld, Política, Economia, Negócios, SPFC, Esportes, próprios ou não, mas sempre dando o devido crédito. Ou não?

terça-feira, 10 de maio de 2011

The Drawdown: Interview with Philly Reservist Serving in Iraq

PW Blogs - PhillyNow
(http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/phillynow/2011/05/09/the-drawdown-interview-with-philly-reservist-serving-in-iraq/)


May 9, 2011 by Aaron Kase


After eight years in the desert, the U.S. military is in the midst of pulling forces and equipment out of Iraq. Last August, President Obama announced the end of "Operation Iraqi Freedom," but troops are still in place mopping up the remnants of nearly a decade of war, counter-insurgency and nation building.

Staff Sgt. William Mack, a West Philly native serving as a service and supply contract analyst with the 77th Sustainment Brigade at Joint Base Balad, spoke by telephone about his role in the Iraqi drawdown and what he looks forward to about coming home to Philly.

Mack, 29, has been in Iraq just over a month, on his first tour. The West Philadelphia High graduate is a mechanic for US Airways in his day job when not serving with the Army Reserve. Before being deployed, he lived with his wife and three children in Southwest Philly.


What's your average day in Iraq like?
Usually, I try to get up around 4:30 in the morning, go to the gym, work out for an hour and a half. I'm at work by 8:30, generally working between 12 and 14 hour days.

What does the workday consist of?
What I do here is I process and analyze the contracts directly related to the drawdown of forces. Everything from transporting equipment back to the US or other location somewhere in the world, to food, contractors, we have civilian contractors who are here, have to send them back home or to another place in the world. Equipment, weapons, video equipment, basically everything we brought here, we have to take it back. Everything we built, we're tearing it down and giving it back to the Iraqi government the same way we found it.

Have you experienced any combat?
We receive threats. We got reports of snipers in somewhere outside the gate. We experience indirect fire pretty much every week. That's basically it. There's nobody driving through the gates, nothing you would see in war movies, people running to bunkers, shooting down people with heavy machinery, stuff like that going on. Every now and again we do get a direct fire.

Any contact with the local civilians?
We have a program called Iraqi kids day— we have a group of soldiers, two of my soldiers are participating in it. Four or five hours, just spend the day with the kids, play games, draw with them from what I understand. Just basically to let the children know that– show a brighter side to what we're actually doing there. Despite what they're learning, we're not bad guys.

How do you stay in touch back home?
Mostly I use the internet, facebook and personal email. Just for simple fact it's easier to send an email than stop what I'm doing and get on the phone. I try to get on the phone as much as I can. Every day, I send a quick email, hi everybody, I'm okay, everything's good, I love you, I miss you, stuff like that.

When do you get back?
My orders are for 400 days. That's basically all I have so far. It could change, but as of right now my orders are for 400 days.

Is this the longest you've been away from your family?
For the most part, yes it is. My family, they're pretty much used to me coming and going. Usually I'll leave for about a month or so. So far I've been gone for about five months now, total. We have to do pre-mobilization training. Basically, you go over exclusively what your mission is, when you get boots on the ground. Go through combat training and stuff like that. Reaction to indirect fire, vehicle roll-overs, stuff like that.

What do you miss most about Philly?
Riding my motorcycle. Being with my family. My social life, that's mainly the one thing I do best. Usually, I tend to hang out down South Street. I'm really heavily into motorcycles, ride my bike down South Street and show off with my friends.

How'd you hear about the death of Osama Bin Laden?
I actually seen it on CNN. Everybody was pretty excited that justice was served. For the most part, the way I feel about it, I didn't thank God for the fact that another man was killed. I was just grateful that none of my brothers in arms spilled any [of their own] blood.

What would define a successful mission in Iraq to you?
The mere fact that once we turn the place back over to the Iraqi government that they can actually sustain it. We spend a lot of time and hours trying to train Iraqi soldiers and police to stand up to these people [insurgents]. If they can give back and maintain that, it would be a good success from my view.

Anything else you want to say?
I just want to say go Eagles, I'm looking forward to an Eagles game when I come home. I'm a huge Michael Vick fan. Michael Vick jersey, slippers, Eagles pillow case on my bed. I'm the guy who sits down in front of my TV with a sandwich and my Eagles jersey.

One other thing: I just want to thank everybody for all of the care packages. It really is a morale booster. I want to thank family and friends for their support. We wouldn't be able to continue on without all this stuff.

Now that I think about it, my older sister is a big fan of Ukee Washington, I will let anyone know that if I get a chance.


Enviado pelo meu aparelho BlackBerry® da Vivo

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário